Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Recipe: Tomato-Pesto Chicken Pasta Bake

This is not the recipe I was intending on making this evening but I am currently out of chicken stock AND chicken broth and just didn't feel like going to the store. So tonight my wonderful husband assisted me in making this amazing and simple dish.

Here's what's up...

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup basil pesto
3 plum tomatoes
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Shredded parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Spaghetti noodles

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put pesto and chicken in bowl. Toss until chicken is covered. Place in casserole dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, uncovered.

Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water cook spaghetti noodles until al dente. Strain and toss with remaining pesto.


Place slices of tomato on top of chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Bake another 3-5 minutes.

THE END RESULT

We have eaten this meal before and it really is AMAZING. Chris rates it an "8".

Also, we treated ourselves to a yummy dessert that my friend Chelsea likes to make. It's very simple. It's banana "ice cream" - basically a frozen banana pureed in a food processor. We also made some simple homemade chocolate sauce out of a cup of semi-sweet morsels and 3/4 of a cup of heavy cream (with three teaspoons sugar added).

My son apparently has a milk protein allergy and because I am nursing him I'll have to seriously cut back on all things dairy. I am allowed cheese in moderation but aside from that, tonight is my last night with dairy for the next month. So it looks like February will be a BIG challenge for finding good meals!

4 comments:

  1. Ashley- Ava had issues with dairy and what I did was cut it out completely for two weeks and then slowly add things back to my diet one week at a time and I was able to find that I was able to have cheese and yogurt but no milk or ice cream. Also after 6 months I was able to eat whatever without it affecting her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda - That's what his doctor suggested, to cut it out completely at first and then slowly add it back into my diet. I am a HUGE milk person so I know it won't be easy...at all. But I'm willing to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow looks great! You are so creative with you meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! It all looks so cute! Good luck with the allergy issues. I can't imagine it will be easy but that's what us mommies do for our little bundles of joy <3

    ReplyDelete